Wednesday 21 January 2015

The power of teamwork

Another busy couple of weeks.  I've picked up 2 new case study clients; Maggie, the 3 year old Rottweiler, and Elvis the 7 year old Tibetan Spaniel.  Neither Maggie nor Elvis are really too sure what to make of massage, but we’ll get there!  At the moment we’re focusing mainly on trust building which is essential.



On Tuesday I was lucky enough to attend my first canine physio session with one of my clients.  It was sooo interesting!  What was also really cool was that the physiotherapist was supportive of massage and recommended some areas to focus on….The power of teamwork ;)

I met up with Kingston and his pet parents at WaterWoofs over the weekend when he had his first session on the underwater treadmill.  He handled it beautifully.  When you think about it from a dogs’ perspective it must be a bit unnerving at first…you are encouraged into an open topped glass box, the door is closed, water starts coming in round your feet and then OMG the thing starts moving under your feet.  It’ll be so good for him though, it should really help strengthen his muscles in his bad leg.

Asha and I went on an awesome walk last week on some farmland over in Mangere – check out the photo of Asha and Kelly preparing to cool off in the cow trough.  And yes, they did go in…and yes they were smelly!



Since I got back from Chicago I have been giving Asha regular massages (which she loves!) and in one of these sessions I felt a little lump at the back of her hamstrings that I hadn't noticed before.  I watched/felt it for a couple of weeks and yesterday we popped into the vet so it could be checked out.  Initial tests were inconclusive so she’s heading in for some minor surgery next week to have it removed – rather be safe than sorry.  If I hadn't been giving her regular massages it may have taken longer to notice it so I’m definitely going to be offering Pet Parent classes when I’m properly up and running so people can learn how to perform an assessment massage on their own pooch.  Not only does it help relax them, strengthen the bond between you, feel fantastic, but it also means you will identify anything that doesn't feel quite right!


Other big news, I've FINALLY landed on a logo design so will be sharing that soon….:)

No comments:

Post a Comment