Tuesday 31 March 2015

Here is Kingston's story...

I met Kingston, a beautiful 5 year old Great Dane, back in December 2014.   In November 2014 Kingston had been frolicking with his best friend Cleo – a 10 month old English Mastiff – when he fell backwards into the pond.  Unfortunately for Kingston, this meant he partially tore his right cruciate ligament.

When I met him he was being rested by his pet parents and was on lead walks only…no free range galloping around on the property!
Options provided for recovery were rest and confinement, and surgery.  His owners didn't want to go down the surgery route so were looking at other options.

The first time I saw Kingston I noted that he was not bearing weight on his right hind limb and his medial stifle joint felt larger on palpation than the left.  The second time I met him, we discussed hydrotherapy as a compliment to the massage, to help build up the strength of the muscles in his right leg as he was on minimal other exercise.

From a massage perspective it is important to not only work the tissue around the affected limb but also work the whole body.  On most occasions I see him I release trigger points in various places which means knots are being worked out from his muscles.  By keeping the tissue healthy and flexible in his other limbs, and throughout his body, it reduces the chance of further injury due to stiffness and tension.  By way of example I broke my rib go-karting once and I’m sure it had something to do with the tension and stiffness in my body which meant that on impact I didn't flex, I snapped L

Massage is not going to “cure” or “mend” the torn ligament but together with the regular hydrotherapy he is now weight bearing more and reports from the family are that he seems happier in himself.  He is still not fully functional in that leg, and he might not be but the massage and hydrotherapy has formed an important maintenance plan for him. 


I absolutely love my sessions with Kingston – he greets me so enthusiastically every time I arrive….and he even snored for me once J

No comments:

Post a Comment