Thursday 12 March 2015

Stats and Stories.....

2038   Blog page views
13       Days since Auckland Canine Massage has been officially open for business
348     Number of days since I first discovered canine massage was a “thing”
15       Days since website and Facebook page went live
128     Facebook likes
171     Days since my first blog post
6         Average age of my current four legged client base
Hundred’s - the hours of canine massage I have performed J

I've been asked a few times over the last week how and why I got into this field and over dinner this week a friend asked me whether I had exhibited any behaviours when I was younger that suggested I might eventually find myself massaging dogs for a living. 

When I asked my Mum she confirmed that as a child I always loved dogs.  Apparently, aged 6, I used to say that our English Cocker Spaniel (Misty) was MY dog, and I would get extremely upset when on returning from school and taking her for a walk as soon as I let her off the lead in the field she would run home to my mother!  Mum was at home, I was at school – makes sense now right.  
I was never afraid of dogs despite being bitten by a very cute West Highland White Terrier when I was about 5 – it was totally my fault!  I’d been told repeatedly not to touch strange dogs and especially not to put my hand through fences and gates to touch them, but I did – the little hand went through the gate and the dog bit me. He broke the skin but there was no lasting damage! Mum also remembered a time when I was allowed to walk their friends Springer Spaniel on the lead and was practically airborne with him pulling me down the lane.
It’s not Throwback Thursday I know, so here’s a few Freaky Friday photo’s of me growing up with our dogs…don’t judge me!


When I realised I’d gone as far as I wanted to go in my corporate career I really hoped that I would be able to work with dogs, but I wasn't sure in what capacity.  So when 348 days ago I saw someone perform a canine massage it was like a light went off and I said That’s it!  I remember coming home and phoning Mum to tell her and I could feel her smile to herself down the phone.

Having done my training though it does have its challenges…no longer do I simply smile and coo at dogs that walk past – now I look at them more intently and observe their gait.  I was walking to the butcher the other day and I could see a dog in the distance and I was watching its gait very closely.  Something didn't look quite right and sure enough when I got closer, it was a very old dog with a very old dog gait.

Up until now this blog has been all about me and my journey to become a Canine Massage Therapist but I’m open to ideas on related topics that you’re interested in.  If you leave a comment either on the blog or message me through the Auckland Canine Massage Facebook page I’ll incorporate your ideas into future posts….


Have a great weekend everyone J

No comments:

Post a Comment