Thursday 16 October 2014

Day 4: Brain Ache

Still absolutely loving it but wow am I exhausted by the end of the day!

Spent more time yesterday observing behaviours.  I didn't realise that by 8 weeks old you can tell the future personality of a dog...which is what we were observing yesterday with Sandwich and Happy.
Also spent some time learning the anatomy of the skeleton.  I never was much good at that kind of thing and dragging my memory back to GSCE Biology hasn't been very helpful.  I was trying to draw the skeleton when I got home and went to bed counting vertebrae rather than sheep!

Today one of the other students asked me if everything was going ok in my hotel, whether I had enough groceries, and if I needed any wine she'd happily get me some.  How absolutely gorgeous :)

Today the class was all about some basic massage techniques.  We practised on each other first which was hilarious, and then we were let lose on some real live dogs!!!

We saw Leo who is a 4 and a half year old Sheltie.  Leo is used to massage because he is an agility dog so often has pre and post event massage, but he also had massage to help him recover from a nasty dog bite and related surgery.  He also has an extra lumbar vertebrae so can get quite stiff in his hind quarters and he also had a thyroid problem.  Poor pup.  He was an absolute star though with all of us poking and prodding him and conducting our very basic assessment technique.

My "client" this afternoon was Odie, a 6 year old Basset Lab mix who was amazing!  He happily let me identify his bony landmarks and let me practise my basic massage.

2 of the class dogs today showed their own personalities….whilst shut away in the massage room for 45 mins while we worked on Leo, between the 2 of them they chewed up the carpet, destroyed some boxes and one of them curled one down in the corner of the room.  Reckon they were showing their displeasure at being shut away!!!!

More hands on practise tomorrow ready for the agility trials on Saturday when we’ll be performing pre and post event massage for real!!!!

Ps – if anyone is having problems posting comments on here, please persevere…..





No comments:

Post a Comment