Monday 24 November 2014

Having fun with Case Studies and Observation

So I have now had initial sessions with case studies 4 & 5.

On Sunday I went to visit Tusk who is a 9 year old Dalmatian.  Tusk is fabulous and we know her from weekend walks along Point Chev beach.  She is very active - mind and body, so I figured I would have a bit of a challenge calming her enough to have a massage.  I was pleasantly surprised how easily she came into my space at the start and laid down...she got easily distracted though ;)  A few treats help re-engage her so we had a pretty successful session.  Hopefully next week's session will be even better :)

Benny the Beagle is case study number 5.  Benny is 3 we think, and has been with his current home only a matter of a few months.  Whilst having a reputation as a bit of an escape artist, the Benny I met was a total chill out merchant.  He flopped down for me, and I probably spent a good 35 - 40 minutes working on him.  He let me do some PROM, skin rolling, ischemic holding etc.  He is in an awesome home now but he's probably still learning the ropes so hopefully his ability to switch off and relax like he did with me will settle him in that little bit quicker an easier.  Next session with Benny is on Friday so watch this space for more updates on him!


And Today......I spent the morning at D'for Dog Training where I was learning to hone my observation skills.  
Observing canine body language is a huge part of my work - I need to be able to notice physical cues and nuances that when considered in context indicate signs of stress, fear, aggression, playfulness, and relaxation.  I was able to watch a couple of puppies interacting and training which was wonderful...and I even managed to give one of them a massage at the end of his school session...he was so relaxed he fell sound asleep :)
D'for Dog have a fantastic indoor venue and a really positive approach to training and behaviour - thank you for letting me hang out with you!







2 comments:

  1. So cool and i know Tusk is looking forward to you coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benny looks thrilled. Lucky pooch.

    ReplyDelete